Placement: The Story So Far

Coming to uni from a small town in the South West of England, I knew that I was going to have to do some additional activities in order to improve my career prospects. As someone who is always striving to achieve the absolute best for myself, I knew that I needed to do some sort of professional work experience in order to get ahead. As there are a small number of opportunities in the area I live in, I decided that a year in industry was the way to go for me.

Placements are a pretty daunting prospect. Looking for a full-time professional job when my work experience is limited to retail was a challenging thing to try to comprehend. However, I knew that I had to take what I had and run with it.

I was very fortunate to have a module dedicated to learning about placements. I quickly picked up how to construct a cover letter, CV and application form and the importance of not restricting your search by location. This sort of mentoring was so valuable, even if it was a 9am lecture.

I started my placement search this summer. Searching the job sites at least once or twice a week, and getting through so many applications was so important to me as I set myself the goal of finding placement by Christmas. On reflection, that was probably a little bit of a steep task, but like I've said, I set the highest possible standards for myself.

After applying to 10 different companies, all in Marketing and Communications roles, I received invites to 3 assessment centres. I realise how lucky I am to be invited to these assessment centres as the amount of people applying to placements is so high. Each assessment centre was a super insightful experience, being able to learn more about each business and the way they work.

Unfortunately, I did not receive any further offers from these assessment centres. So that's where I am at now. Dealing with rejection is a really difficult process. I'm the kind of person who comes down hard on themselves when they don't succeed, even if I tried my best. I tend to over analyse the smallest details, when to most they'd be insignificant. However, I've come to understand that actually being rejected from a role is not necessarily a bad thing. Businesses have goals and objectives to achieve and they do this by employing the best person for the job at that time in the business. Being rejected from a job is not necessarily a reflection of not being good enough, its just sometimes that you don't fit the role that they need.

So now, I am continuing my search. Trying to find the perfect company that suits me, and I suit them.
It's such an interesting concept, I want to know your thoughts. Let me know

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience with exams

Shane Dawson x Jeffree Star: Conspiracy

2019: A Year in Review