Critical Thinking: What's the deal?

'Too many facts, too little conceptualising, too much memorising and too little thinking' -- Paul Hurd

Arguably, critical thinking is one of the most important skills a person can learn. Being able to 'sift through the noise' (From this article) in order to conclude concisely is highly valuable.

My time in education has spanned the majority of my life. From learning the basics in primary school, to honing my knowledge in college, I've been exposed to many ideas and skills. However, it was only at the end of college that I was exposed critical thinking, why?

One could argue that the education system is concerned with broadening horizons, teaching culture, history and a basic level of literacy/numeracy. However, you could also argue that the education system is not encapsulating the advanced skills needed in the workplace, making it challenging to learn these when its the most vital.

I personally feel that these skills would have been so valuable to have learnt earlier on, regardless of what type of career I pursue. However, there is debate to whether the skills learnt in the classroom can be transferred into the workplace. More on this can be found here.

Whether critical thinking is taught in schools specifically, or whether its a skill that we pick up throughout our lives, I know that critical thinking has allowed me to achieve my goals (see the picture below from A-Level results day) and continue developing.

Shout out to Ruby and Tom for allowing me to use this photo. 


What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience with exams

Shane Dawson x Jeffree Star: Conspiracy

2019: A Year in Review