Social Media, Organisations and Me

As a young person, I find myself using social media on a daily basis. Whether it's scrolling through Instagram while waiting for a bus or using Facebook to connect with my family whilst I'm at university, it surrounds me constantly. It often crosses my mind about how it's being utilised in business whether it be to assist in recruitment, marketing or to maintain balance between work and home.

Social media is increasingly used to screen for potential candidates in the recruitment process and I think it is really interesting the amount of data that we share on social media. A simple search of my name brought up all my social medias in the top 5 results. 

Research conducted in 2009 showed that 45% of over 2600 hiring managers used social media in their screening of potential candidates (Grasz as cited by Brown and Vaughn, 2011). Considering that this figure is a decade old, it's fair to assume that it is even more prevalent in recruitment today. I find this bazaar, especially with some of the posts I've seen on Facebook. 

However social media, particularly for younger people, can be seen as a recruitment opportunity. Whilst sites such as Indeed.com are some of the most popular methods of job searching, young people are beginning to see the advantages of using social media in the process (Pajtinkova Bartakova et al., 2017)- whether it be discovering more about the culture of a business (Lush’s social media is a good example) or to find a position.


What do you think? Let me know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown, V. and Vaughn, E. (2011). The Writing on the (Facebook) Wall: The Use of Social Networking Sites in Hiring Decisions. Journal of Business and Psychology, 26(2), pp.219-225.
Pajtinkova Bartakova, G., Gubiniova, K., Brtkova, J. and Hitka, M. (2017). Actual trends in the recruitment process at small and medium-sized enterprises with the use of social networking. Economic Annals-ХХI, 164(3-4), pp.80-84.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience with exams

Shane Dawson x Jeffree Star: Conspiracy

2019: A Year in Review